As explained by the Texas Legislative Council (TLC), all felony charges carry a minimum of at least one year in prison. Of course, many felony charges can carry far more serious penalties than that. At Hoelscher Gebbia Cepeda, PLLC, we are a justice-focused criminal defense law firm that is qualified to handle the full spectrum of felony offenses. Here, our San Antonio felony defense lawyer highlights major felonies in Texas.
An Overview of the Most Common Major Felony Offenses in Texas
While some drug charges are misdemeanors, many are felonies. A drug crime may be either a state-level charge or a federal offense. Here is a list of major drug felonies:
- Drug Trafficking: Drug trafficking involves the manufacturing, distribution, or dispensing of controlled substances in large quantities. The severity of the felony charge will depend on the amount and type of the substance (drug) in question.
- Manufacture or Delivery of Controlled Substances: This crime involves either the production or distribution of controlled substances. Similar to drug trafficking charges, the severity of the charge varies based on the type and amount of the drug.
In Texas, violent criminal allegations are taken extremely seriously by police and prosecutors. Here is an overview of the most common violent felony offenses:
- Robbery: In Texas, robbery is the act of taking property from someone else through force or threat of force. It is considered a violent crime because it involves the use of force.
- Aggravated Assault: Aggravated assault involves causing serious bodily injury to another person or using or exhibiting a deadly weapon during the commission of an assault.
- Murder: Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being with malice aforethought. It is among the most serious criminal offenses and can result in life imprisonment or the death penalty.
Sexual offenses carry extreme stigma. In Texas, a conviction could potentially carry lifetime sex offender registration. Here are two of the most serious major felonies:
- Sexual Assault:Sexual assault involves non-consensual sexual contact with another individual. It could carry life imprisonment in some cases.
- Indecency with a Child: This crime involves engaging in sexual contact or exposing certain body parts to a child or causing the child to expose themselves. All child sex crimes in Texas are felony offenses.
White Collar Offenses
White-collar crimes—nonviolent offenses that generally have a financial motive—can also be very serious felony offenses. Here are two major ones:
- Embezzlement: Embezzlement is the act of wrongfully appropriating funds that have been entrusted to one’s care but are owned by someone else.
- Money Laundering: Money laundering involves the process of making large amounts of money generated by a criminal activity, such as drug trafficking or terrorist funding, appear to have come from a legitimate source.
Call Our San Antonio Felony Defense Attorney for Immediate Help
At Hoelscher Gebbia Cepeda, PLLC, our San Antonio criminal defense lawyers have extensive experience handling felony cases. If you or your family member was arrested and charged with any type of felony offense, we are more than ready to help. Give us a phone call now or contact us online to set up your strictly confidential initial consultation. With a legal office in San Antonio, we defend felony charges in Bexar County and throughout Texas.