Attorneys of Hoelscher Gebbia Cepeda PLLC walking

Texas Grandparent Rights


Whether you are a grandparent or other family member, you want to ensure that the children in your life are cared and provided for. If the biological parents are unfit to properly care for their children due to addiction and substance abuse, incarceration, mental health issues or have created an environment of abuse or neglect, family may have to step in and take responsibility for their children.

Texas courts want to account for the best interests of children when deciding where to place them once parents are deemed unfit. Even if you have been the primary caregiver for a significant period of time, the courts can opt to place children with a different family member or even a foster family. At HGC Law, we help grandparents and other family members in San Antonio and throughout Texas assert their rights in CPS or in other family law cases. Kids who are separated from their parents, regardless of the reason, need to find a place with people who love them.

Asserting Your Legal Rights As A Grandparent

If the biological parents of your grandchild have denied you visitation, Texas law allows you to sue for visitation under certain circumstances. You can also sue for custody of your grandchild in a CPS case or when there is a risk of impairment of the child’s physical safety or emotional wellbeing. Although you have options for asserting your rights, the laws regarding grandparents’ rights are extremely complex. Our San Antonio child welfare lawyers can provide you with clear interpretations of the laws and explain how they apply to your situation. Depending on the circumstances of your case, we can help you pursue termination of the biological parents’ rights, gain custody of your grandchildren and in some cases, complete an adoption of your grandchildren.

Examples of HGC Law Cases Involving Grandparents and Other Relatives

Successfully established standing (the legal right to sue) to intervene in a CPS case where CPS and the children’s ad litem attorney objected that the Grandparents were unfit as a placement and had insufficient past contact with the children to allow them to become parties in the CPS case.

Helped qualify and obtain licensing as a foster placement for Grandparents when CPS refused to study or license them while CPS sought non-relative adoption of the children. Assisted in voluntary subsequent adoption by a Grandparent after adoptive foster parents’ divorce.

Obtained Conservatorship for Grandparents who needed to enroll children in school, provide medical consent, and travel with grandchildren after mother left them in their care, but refused to agree to any legal rights to care for them.

We Give You Options In CPS And Other Family Law Matters

To assert your rights as a grandparent or other family member, contact our San Antonio law office to schedule a consultation and learn how we can help. Call 210-222-9132 or take a moment to complete our online contact form.